Get your web business fit for optimum exposure for search engines like google and shopping feeds. Volusion’s internet marketing experts assist you to identify impactful keywords, demonstrate crafting effective product names and descriptions, provide free sources to assist your time and efforts, and much more. Watch the web seminar below or online.
Here are the most requested questions throughout the web seminar clarified by Shopping Feeds Specialist Adam Kirsch and Search engine optimization Specialist Kavi Kardos.
Duplicate Content Questions
1. I’ve got a large amount of similar products from various manufacturers. Every one has similar titles, descriptions, meta data, etc. So what can I actually do to ensure they are better? Am I Going To be penalized by Google basically do not have unique title tags?
“Penalized” is really a harsh word, but the various search engines do choose to see unique title tags and meta descriptions for every page of the website and they’re more prone to convey a page with unique tags greater within the search engine results. It’s okay in case your product names, title tags, and meta descriptions offer a similar experience-you want to make certain that every one is exclusive in some manner. A great guideline is to have a look at two similar tags and get yourself regardless of whether you will easily notice that they’re associated with two different products. For instance, noting the web site 3’ cable along with a 6’ cable ought to be a good enough differentiator.
2. Whenever you separate out nearly identical products, how can you mitigate duplicate content?
This is often tough for those who have a very large inventory with a lot of similar products, but it’s important to try and keep your content on every page as unique as you possibly can. Try phrasing concepts in slightly various ways every time. If you are developing a bulleted listing of features, make each bullet concise and make certain to list out what’s different about each product variation. Keep in mind that it isn’t necessary to possess a lot of text on every page-about 150 words per page is going to do.
3. You pointed out not to have text repeat what’s on other pages or sites. How about something specific that should be stated for example “This tour isn’t motorized wheel chair accessible.” Will it hurt to possess that sentence on 1 / 2 of your product or service?
That should not be an issue. It’s perfectly acceptable to repeat short phrases such as this inside your product descriptions, particularly if they’re associated with safety instructions or something like that. The concept would be to keep your entire description of product from sounding like it’s been duplicated from another page in your site or even the manufacturer’s site.
Product Photos Questions
4. Could it be acceptable basically have product photos on white-colored background, but offer additional photos from the product being used? For instance, for any baby product, utilizing a baby inside a generally-used space?
Absolutely. Getting images with white-colored, grey, or light-colored background is really a Google recommendation. They condition the image must precisely display the merchandise and can include minimal or no product staging which the primary picture of an item will include a primary and/or obvious look at the merchandise being offered. For those who have multiple images, you can utilize the “additional image link” section. This gives your clients more views of the product after they reach the product page, which is ideal for conversion.
5. Associated with photo quality, have you got a recommended Dots per inch level or format for the best results?
Google recommends images which are a minimum of 800 pixels in height and width. The bare minimums are 25×25 and 250×250 for apparel. When relevant, the biggest, greatest resolution copy from the image you’ve may be the someone to submit.
6. I’m selling art that has copyright issues and requires watermarking-how can we address this?
Regrettably, The search engines do not permit you to watermark your images because it is considered “obstructing content.” While your website landing page could have watermarks, the look link inside your data feed shouldn’t.
7. We’d a lot of questions regarding H1 tags, here’s quick tips below.
Webpages use heading tags (H1, H2, H3 …H6) to explain the hierarchy of the page’s content. Each heading can introduce a piece of content, with H1 tags indicating the most crucial section. Using H tag hierarchy informs your users and the various search engines about the most crucial info on each page. Basically we do suggest that each page in your website must have an H1 tag, it isn’t essential to include H2s, H3s, and so forth unless of course your articles would take advantage of that sort of structure.
H tags are very easy to increase your code. Whenever you have an H1 tag for any product page, it may be like this as joined in HTML:
<h1>This is an essential Heading on my small Page!</h1>
This is actually the content associated with this heading.
And here’s the way it can look in your site:
This is an essential Heading on my small Page!
This is actually the content associated with this heading.
Shopping Feeds Questions
8. Have you got any sources to understand more about google shipping and optimizing campaigns?
A good option to discover Google Shopping and optimizing campaigns may be the source! Google is loaded with lots of AdWords optimization sources. Furthermore, Google lists their shopping policies and rules here.
9. I’m seeing conflicting information which the brand new Google Statistical Taxonomy needs to be made by September 15th. Additional information online states the new taxonomy groups need to be made by Sept. 15th, but don’t always need to be the statistical groups.
Good job checking up on Google’s changes! Per their announcement here, Bing is presenting stable number Product Category IDs. You’ll be able to provide either the written text or number based category identification, that exist here. Please be aware though, it ought to be either. So that as always, play the role of consistent.
10. My page is within Spanish, so accented figures need to be there. We setup our keyboards as US worldwide and merely type. No accents means we appear illiterate. Are you able to point me to some conversion tool that’ll insert codes or must i just look and replace before we upload to Volusion? What’s the simplest way to get this done?
We stress to prevent special figures to ensure that when Google crawls your product or service, there aren’t any damaged figures. If you are utilizing a language, the HTML markup of these figures is what you want-likely your keyboard is instantly carrying this out for you personally. A fast export of the datafeed file and overview of your descriptions can have if these products are now being displayed properly or otherwise. When the way you’re doing the work enables Google to see it without issues, carry on doing that. Also, for convenient help in case your meta data are showing incorrectly, give your unicode meta titles.
11. Our business rents (not sells) books, and so the books are $ on Volusion. Customers need to sign up for our service. Under these conditions, will it seem sensible to complete shopping feeds?
Regrettably, in cases like this, it wouldn’t seem sensible to complete feeds, as Google Shopping is perfect for items that are now being offered. You can’t advertise products for rental.
12. What’s the worth of “Google Reliable Stores” inside your opinion?
Google gives this badge to websites that are dependable shippers with an eye on positive customer comments, which instills rely upon shoppers. This can provide you with a benefit more than a competitor that isn’t a Google Reliable Store. To get this badge, your store must meet certain criteria.
13. How can we produce the product URL for every product?
Automatically, your products URLs will require around the standard Volusion URL structure:
http://world wide web.dogmania.com/product-p/12345.htm
By editing the merchandise URL Text field within the Advanced Info portion of your products inventory, you are able to change that Hyperlink to something similar to this:
http://world wide web.dogmania.com/red-dog-hat-p/12345.htm
14. My website has proper caps within the product URL text. Am I Going To be penalized by Google with this? Should i change this, and may I change it out without having to be penalized by the various search engines?
Generally, URLs aren’t situation sensitive. Which means that it most likely won’t hurt you to definitely have capital letters inside your URLs. However, it’s considered an Search engine optimization best practice to make use of all lowercase letters for any couple of reasons. First, it appears cleaner and much more uniform. Second, most users will type your URL in most lowercase anyway if they’re visiting your website directly or linking into it. Third, search engines like google have from time to time mistaken uppercase and lowercase versions of URLs for separate pages, and when both versions are indexed, the various search engines will recognize the information on individuals pages as duplicate content. That might be not so good news.
Switching URL text to any or all lowercase is straightforward, also it won’t lead you to lose any traffic or get in a penalty from the various search engines as lengthy as you’ve checked the “301 Redirect to SEOFriendly URLs” box in your Config Variables, based in the Settings portion of your admin area.
15. What is the method to prevent category names from being called figures? eg world wide web.sitehere.com/Product-Name-s/145.htm
Every page of the Volusion website includes a number mounted on it. That’s the way the pages of the site are organized, also it helps to ensure that each page have a unique URL when it’s produced. However, the written text prior to the s or p in your page (inside your example, the “Product-Name” part) could be customized nevertheless, you want.
16. Regarding meta tag keywords and just how they aren’t essential for Search engine optimization: do you need to just leave that field blank for product pages in addition to category pages? Or must i still place a couple of relevant keywords inside, for example product color, size, etc.?
It’s better to let it rest blank. Neither your clients nor the various search engines can easily see these details, therefore it won’t assist you to whatsoever to incorporate any text in this subject. This is correct for each page in your site, including product pages, category pages, your house page, blogs, etc.-it will not enable you to have keywords for auction on any page.
17. On alt text, what’s the optimal quantity of figures?
There isn’t any “correct” quantity of figures for image alt tags. Make use of this tag to explain the look as well as you are able to, even when which means including multiple descriptors. “Size medium blue and red polka us dot dress for girls” is really a perfectly fine alt tag. It’s concise, however it can continue to describe all of the visual facets of the look.
18. Where don’t let continue site to input Google Analytics tracking info?
Google’s Analytics tracking code that’s assigned aimed at your website whenever you setup your Analytics account should be placed within the mind portion of your template. Inside your Volusion store, you have access to the Web coding by hovering within the Design portion of your admin area and selecting File Editor. Under Shortcuts, you will see a piece known as Template Files having a connect to your template’s code underneath.
IMPORTANT: Use extreme care when editing your template’s code and try to save an authentic copy of the code prior to making any changes. One small coding mistake may cause your website to misbehave.
Presents itself your HTML file, you will see a piece that starts with the mind section opening tag (<head>) and ends using the closing tag (</head>). Copy the whole tracking code script out of your Google Analytics account and insert it simply prior to the closing tag. It ought to look something similar to this:
<meta http-equiv=”Content-Type” content=”text/html charset=UTF-8″ />
<link href=”vspfiles/templates/template/css/Imports.css” rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” />
<div id=”if_homepage”><link href=”vspfiles/templates/template/css/Homepage.css” rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” /></div>
)(window,document,’script’,’//world wide web.google-analytics.com/analytics.js’,’ga’)
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-XXXXXXXX-X’, ‘mysite.com’)
19. I am only doing Search engine optimization and wholesale. I am presently getting in new products and colours and I am putting the expected delivery date within the product name. Is the fact that an awful idea?
We wouldn’t recommend including delivery dates-or other information that’s prone to change-inside your product names, title tags, or meta descriptions. Individuals fields are actually meant to describe the merchandise with no extraneous information. In case your expected delivery dates, prices, or shipping policies would change (which will probably happen sooner or later), you’d need to go in and alter all individuals product names, title tags, or meta descriptions. It’s better to use individuals fields to condition exactly what the method is and then leave it at this.
20. If Free Delivery, etc. is really a no-no in product descriptions, where else on the Volusion product page could that be presented?
For Volusion Stores, you should check from the box for “Free delivery item” within the advanced info of the products. This can display a “free delivery” icon beneath the product cost around the product page. You can do this rapidly with the import/export feature too.
21. Within the Description Of Product, would be the other tabs like “Features,” “Technical Specs,” etc. important?
It isn’t essential to begin using these tabs should you not have information to place there. However, in case your products have a lot of technical specifications and they’re causing your products descriptions to operate lengthy, separating them into tabs might be helpful.
22. Are complete sentences important?
This will depend in your brand voice and way of writing, usually, you need to write your products descriptions having a human audience in your mind. Write in ways that’s comfortable for the people to read. Your articles should seem natural, and you ought to always ask someone you trust to check out a couple of of the product pages to have an added perspective.
23. I’ve got a lot of traffic from Russia on my small site…and my products should be for Mexico.
The traffic you’re seeing from Russia is most likely because of referrals from junk e-mail bots. Which means your referral data within Google Analytics has been skewed, but there’s a good way to exclude those visitors to ensure that Analytics doesn’t recognize it as being legitimate. This short article from Moz explains more.
24. In case your product has numerous different choices (sizes and color), in the event you optimize each product option page or simply the primary product page?
If they’re for auction on your website to be different products, meaning they all have its very own unique URL, you’ll be able to optimize each page individually (and you ought to!).
25. Could it be vital that you complete title tags and meta descriptions for child products in addition to parent products? We sell clothing and also have color/size variations for every parent.
For Search engine optimization, individuals goods are hidden and just employed for prices/stock because they aren’t within the sitemap and never utilized by visitors, so that’s not necessary to fill individuals out. Exactly the same could be stated for shopping feeds-individuals fields aren’t posted towards the shopping feeds, so there is no need.
26. Could it be alright to put banners in to the Description Of Product?
We’d not recommend putting banners in product descriptions-Google displays your description as text in product ads. Banners do not let Google to crawl descriptions and display them correctly.
27. Could it be okay to place marketing information within the description box “Description Of Product Above Prices”?
You could do, as lengthy when you are submitting another description field to Google. The outline field that will get posted inside your datafeed file shouldn’t include marketing information, but under Google’s current rules it’s okay to possess that information inside a different, unsubmitted field. With any instances such as this, we always suggest checking up on Google’s Shopping Policies, because they may change with time.
28. Is establishing Search engine optimization for the product a 1-time factor or perhaps an ongoing one where I have to keep updating reasons for my product for example unique descriptions, etc.?
Once you’ve set such things as title tag and meta description for any product, they’ll stay this way before you change them. As lengthy as they’re unique using their company pages in your site, there’s you don’t need to update these regularly. Just make certain they reflect accurate details about the merchandise.
29. What is the huge difference if my product “description” is human readable versus a bulleted list description?
In either case is okay, as lengthy while you bear in mind that humans are the audience. Presenting product features in paragraph or list form does not matter, however the content ought to always be unique and natural-sounding.
30. My boss uses a Free Delivery icon over the description on my small product pages. Will the alt tag text mentioning “free delivery” count against me?
No, text within alt tags won’t have an adverse impact on shopping feeds listings.
31. If you work with exactly the same text for title tag, product name, and meta description when the method is known by name where it’s originating from (like Italian wine)?
It’s fine to incorporate similar phrases in all of these fields (title tag, product name, and meta description), since an expression like “Italian wine” is most likely a precise descriptor from the product. However, you’ll still need to make these items of text unique from one another in some manner.
For instance, your products name may be:
750 ml Italian Pinot Grigio by Cazato
While your title tag could read:
2010 Vintage 750 ml Fine Italian Pinot Grigio Cazato Winery
As well as your meta description might say:
Consider using a scrumptious pinot grigio in the Lombardy region of Italia. Low acidity having a spicy finish, Cazato’s 2010 vintage is really a dream become a reality for wine enthusiasts!
32. The DOGMANIA store page shows an item (hat with bow) which has variations (colors)…you formerly pointed out the National hockey league bracelet client, who’d better results listing the variations out as individual products (i.e. san jose sharks national hockey league bracelet). For the reason that instance you will find bodily variations, in order to understand the advantage of listing them individually. Can you suggest carrying this out if your product has one physical version however, it’s multiple choices for compatibility…i.e. a car part? Will it be easier to list exactly the same part multiple occasions using the different makes/mixers it’s suitable for, or would a dropdown (such as the dog hat page, that has color and size options) work equally well?
Since the product sounds highly specific in cases like this, it’s reasonable to visualize that shoppers will be hunting very specific parts, and sure look for their specific brand name. However, creating a specific product page for everybody product within this situation could make your website overwhelming and hard to navigate. An alternative choice would be to have your products description list compatible models and makes, because the description field may also be listed in Google and accustomed to pair your product or service with shoppers.
33. Whenever you mention description of product, would you mean the area just known as “description of product” or all the various description of product fields for example “description of product above prices,” “description of product short,” etc.?
Within this web seminar, i was speaking particularly concerning the field known as “product description.” This is actually the field that generally is going to be posted to Google to explain your products.
34. I’ve capital letters within the product name simply to classify the number, is the fact that ok?
Even though it is considered guidelines with Google not to make use of all capital letters inside your product names and descriptions, you won’t be penalized if your couple of test is in most caps.
35. When writing tags-say, for wooden watches-in the event you tag as (wooden watches, wood, watches, wood watches) or does (wooden watches) pay for it all?
Search engines like google usually can recognize slight keyword variations, like the distinction between “wood” and “wooden.” When you should not be while using Meta Tag Keywords field, if you are using the saying “wooden watches” inside your title tags and product descriptions, the various search engines will most likely affiliate looks for “wood watches” or “watches made from wood” with individuals pages too.